Over the summer MICA worked with the Maryland Education Enterprise Consortium and Adobe systems to contract to have a copy the Adobe Creative Suite Design and Web Premium software available for every MICA student. You can load this software on your personal laptop or desktop computer, Mac or Windows. The suite includes Photoshop Extended, Dreamweaver, Flash Professional, Fireworks, inDesign, Illustrator, Acrobat Pro and other applications.
TSS would like to update you on the process for getting your copy of the Adobe Creative Suite - Web and Design Premium.
First of all, Adobe has not been able to meet the proposed schedule for getting serial numbers to us by the beginning of the school year as we had planned. So in working with them yesterday we have agreed on the following process for MICA students:
- Download the software from the following site. This is a thirty day version of the Creative Suite. http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=designweb_premium
- Follow the prompts to install the Adobe Download Assistant which will guide you through the download.
- If you don't already have an Adobe account, you will be prompted to make one.
- After the Assistant has been loaded you will be asked to choose the product you want to download. Make sure you click on the icon for Creative Suite - Design and Web Premium.
- Depending on the traffic on our network and the time of day, the 4.5 GB file might take about 8-10 minutes. If you immediately try to download the software upon receiving this email the download will be slower since it is likely that many of our other 2200 students will be doing the same.
- Follow the instructions for loading the software onto your PC or Mac. Choose the applications you want to install from the list. Make certain you have enough hard drive space to accommodate the programs you choose.
- Your software will continue in a "Trial" state until you have your serial number.
Before approximately September 10th, MICA will receive the serial numbers for all students. Once we do we will send out another email informing you that they are available. Come to the Art Tech Center with your MICA ID card and you will be given your serial number.
When you have your serial number, there is a place on the Adobe start-up screen in the lower right corner that says "License this Software". Click on that button and then put in your newly acquired serial number. That will remove the "Trial" status for your software.
As long as you are a student you will have access to the latest version of the software. Adobe has indicated that it plans to release new versions each summer.
If you are a student studying abroad and are not able to be on campus to pick up your serial number, please contact the Help Desk and they will make arrangements to get the serial number to you.
** If you already have a copy of a previous version of the Adobe Creative Suite installed on your computer, you may want to keep it on your computer as well. As long as you are a student at MICA you will be able to use the version that MICA provides but MICA cannot guarantee that it will continue to function once you graduate or leave the College.
As always, if you have any questions or issues, please contact the Help Desk at email@example.com or 410-225-2201.
For Faculty and Staff Personal Computers
All faculty and staff at MICA can have a copy of the Adobe Creative Suite Master Collection Version 6 to load on their personal laptop or desktop computer - either Mac or Windows. To get your copy, just visit the Tech Desk on the 2nd floor of the Art Tech Center. You will be given a serial number and a flash drive containing the software. Once you load the software on your computer, you will need to return the flash drive to the Tech Desk. This software will function as long as you are an employee of MICA. As new versions are released by Adobe, you will have access to the newest versions. Adobe has indicated that it plans to bring out a new version each Summer.
Faculty and Staff MICA-Owned Computers
If you need the Adobe software as part of the requirements of your job at MICA, Technology Systems and Services will load that software for you on your MICA-owned computer. Just send an email to the Help Desk and ask them to schedule this. Please keep in mind that the version of software for your personal computer is different than the campus version so please do not load up the version you will get for your personal computer on your MICA-owned computer.
Computers in Classrooms and Labs
With the availability of Adobe CS for faculty staff and students, MICA now has coordinated all of the versions on campus to be the same, latest version of the software. If you discover that a campus lab or classroom computer does not have the latest version, please contact the Help Desk, either at (410) 225-2201, or at firstname.lastname@example.org.